Business and property owners in the Village of Callao began organizing in 2015 to revitalize the Callao Business District.
Northumberland County received two planning grants from the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) to begin the process and produce the Callao Business District Revitalization Plan.
The Plan was used by the Northern Neck Planning District Commission to assist Northumberland County submit a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) application, in March 2017, to implement the following activities:
Business District Revitalization
- Façade improvements centered at the traffic signal where State Highway 360 meets State Route 202 in the direction of Heathsville on Highway 360.
- The design and installation of wayfaring signage (gateway signs and directional signs).
- The installation of public improvements: landscaping, street furniture, street lights, and pedestrian crosswalks.
- The development of a marketing website and a marketing plan to promote the Callao Business District.
- The formation of a Main Street Affiliate organization to market and promote the Callao Business District via public events, coordinating with the Northern Neck Tourism Commission (NNTC) and the Virginia Tourism Corporation, as well as encouraging private investment that’s independent but complementary to the revitalization effort.
Revolving Loan Fund
- The creation of an $80,000 fund for loans to businesses in the Project Area. One full-time-equivalent (FTE) job must be created in the Project Area for every $10,000 loaned out, and at least 51% of the jobs created must be held by Low- and Moderate-Income (LMI) individuals.